Renato Solidum Jr.
Renato Solidum Jr.
Official portrait, 2018
|Secretary of Science and Technology |
|Assumed office |
August 13, 2022[a]
|President||Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.|
|Preceded by||Fortunato de la Peña|
|Undersecretary for Scientific and Technical Services|
|President||Rodrigo Duterte |
Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.
|Succeeded by||Usec. Maridon O. Sagahun|
|Undersecretary for Disaster Risk Reduction Climate Change Adaptation|
|Director of PHIVOLCS |
Officer in charge[b]
|President||Gloria Macapagal Arroyo |
Benigno Aquino III
Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.
|Preceded by||Raymundo Punongbayan|
|Succeeded by||Usec. Teresito C. Bacolcol|
Renato Umali Solidum, Jr.
|Alma mater||University of the Philippines (B.S.)|
University of Illinois Chicago (M.S.)
University of California, San Diego (Ph.D)
|Institutions||Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology|
Renato Umali Solidum, Jr. is a Filipino geologist and government official who is currently serving as the Secretary of the Department of Science and Technology since August 13, 2022.
Early life and education
Solidum originally aspired to be a civil engineer and took the entrance examinations of the University of the Philippines. He passed the exam but since engineering is considered a quota course, he was ineligible to enroll in an engineering college. He instead took a course on geology initially intending to switch to an engineering program. However, he decided against it and eventually earned a bachelor's degree in geology.
He also studied in the United States, at the University of Illinois Chicago where he obtained a geological sciences master's degree and at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography of the University of California, San Diego where he got his doctorate degree in Earth sciences.
Solidum has been part of the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS) in 1984 since it split off from the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA). He hired by the organization shortly after graduating from the University of the Philippines and had the endorsement of then-director Raymundo Punongbayan.
He first received international attention in 1991 when PHIVOLCS director Punongbayan tasked him to work with the United States Geological Service gathering data at the then restive Mount Pinatubo. The findings of the team led to Punongbayan to raise an evacuation alert in the area prior to a major volcanic eruption saving thousands of lives in Central Luzon.
He later served in PHIVOLCS as its director from 2003 to 2017 and Officer-in-Charge from March 2017. He was also appointed as Department of Science and Technology (DOST) Undersecretary for Disaster Risk Reduction-Climate Change Adaptation (DRR-CCA). In 2019, he became undersecretary for Scientific and Technical Services.
He is a recipient of the Presidential Citation for Public Service, Professional of the Year in the field of Geology by the Professional Regulation Commission and the Excellence Award for Government Service by the Philippine Federation of Professional Associations.
Solidum is married and has three children.
- ^ says, M. D. (August 13, 2022). "After 38 years in service, Renato Solidum Jr. takes the helm of DOST". RAPPLER. Retrieved August 16, 2022.
- ^ a b c d e Maralit, Kristina (August 13, 2022). "Phivolcs head Renato Solidum named interim DoST chief". The Manila Times. Retrieved August 13, 2022.
- ^ a b Goyum, Iya (August 13, 2022). "After 38 years in service, Renato Solidum Jr. takes the helm of DOST". Rappler. Retrieved August 13, 2022.
- ^ a b c Barawid, Rachel; Garcia, Angelo G.; Lim, Ronald S.; Mendoza, Alfredo V (April 9, 2011). "Phivolcs director Dr. Renato U. Solidum, Jr.: Ain't no earthquake strong enough". Manila Bulletin (in English and Filipino). Archived from the original on April 24, 2011. Retrieved August 13, 2022.
- ^ a b Corrales, Nestor (August 13, 2022). "Solidum named science secretary". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved August 13, 2022.
- ^ a b Ragasa, Faith Yuen Wei (August 12, 2022). "Marcos appoints Phivolcs director Renato Solidum Jr. as DOST chief". CNN Philippines. Retrieved August 13, 2022.
|Preceded by|| Secretary of Science and Technology |
|Order of precedence|
|Preceded by|| Order of Precedence of the Philippines |
as Secretary of Science and Technology
**in Concurrent capacity